Historical events of guruvayoor
The idol installed here at Guruvayur temple considered to be 5000 years old and lot of legends associated with it.
1030 – Sreekovil and Mandapam renovated.
1058 – Koothambalam and Nalambalam reconstructed.
12thcentury – Western Gopuram constructed.
14thcentury – Tantra Samuchaya written by Chennas Narayanan Namboodiri.
14thcentury – Mentions of Kuruvayur in Tamil literature and Kokasandesam.
1587 – Narayaneeyam composed
1637 – Temple records available in Kolezhuthu script
1638 – The central shrine rebuilt.
1716 – Dutch raided Guruvayur and set fire to the Western Gopuram.
1747 – Western Gopuram rebuilt by Panikkaveettil Ittirayicha Menon, Karyasthan.
1756 – Dutch attacked and desecrated Trikkunavay ( Trikkana Mathilakam) to which Guruvayur was a Keezhedam (Subordinate temple)
1757 – Dutch again attacked Trikkunavay temple and the Devaswom dissolved.
1757 – Zamorin became the supervising trustee with Mallisseri as the co-trustee of Guruvayur.
1766 – Hyder Ali attacked Guruvayur.
1780 – “Devadaya” from Hyder Ali through Madras Governor Shri. Srinivasa Rao.
1789 – Tippu Sultan attacked Guruvayur -Utsavavigraha shifted to Ambalappuzha and Moolavigraha to a safe underground place.
1792 – September 17 – Reinstallation of the Moolavigraha after the victory of Zamorins over Tippu with the help of British.
1825 – 1892- Temple under the supervision of Court.
1836 – Installation of Deepasthambam in front of the gate way.
1841 – Government of Madras restored Devadaya appropriated by Tippu Sultan.
1842 – The Eastern Gopuram rebuilt.
1859 – Central shrine and mandapam covered with copper sheeting. A permanent flagstaff with bell metal covering set up.
1889 – Dispute started between trustees . Even temple closed for over a week.
1892 – Chuttambalam, Vilakkumatam, Koothambalam and Sastha Shrine were renovated and roofed with copper sheets.
1893 – Compromise was arrived between trustees.
1900 – Big bell was set up and reconstructed the Pathayapura (granary).
1910 – Deepasthambam at Eastern Gopuram installed by Shri Chettur Sankaran Nair.
1915 – A court of wards assumed the management of Zamorin’s Estate including Guruvayur temple.
1922 – January 4th Nadayiruthal of elephant “Kesavan”.
1927 – Zamorins got back the administrative powers from the Court of Wards.
1930 – A clear administrative scheme was framed by the High court of Madras with the Zamorin once again as the head.
1931 – Guruvayur Satyagraham started.
1932 – Temple remained closed for 12 days without pooja, because of Guruvayur Satyagraham.
1946 – Temple entry for all Hindus.
1952 – January 30 – Flagstaff completely enclosed with gold.
1964 – Sree Krishna College started.
1970 November 30 – Huge fire devastated the Temple.
1971 March 9 – Guruvayur Devaswom Act. Replaced the 1930 Scheme enacted by the Hon’ble High Court of Madras. The Kerala Government takes charge of the temple administration.
1973 – The honor “Gajarajan” awarded to Kesavan on his Shashtiabda poorthi (60thbirth day).
1974 October 31 – The temple renovation after fire completed.
1978 March 2 – A regular bill passed in the Kerala Assembly with some modification to the existing Guruvayur Devaswom Act – 1971.
(courtesy Guruvayur Devaswom web)